Sunday, 30 August 2026

Yep

As predicted, we headed to the Kings Head yesterday.

It's a pleasant back-street 10 minute stroll.

When we arrived there were lots of people sitting outside.  At the bar, there was one person on a bar stool and the tramcar snug was empty.  

The folk who run it were behind the bar and we were greeted enthusiastically - me:  Oakham pale, BBB: Black Iris West Coast IPA.  

Both cask, both in perfect condition and both of us convinced we'd got the better deal.

We had the pick of the seats so chose the small table just by the tramcar entrance.  The downside is intermittent smell of disinfectant from the loos - the upside is easy exit and entrance for subsequent rounds.

A couple of people came and joined the tramcar and behaved impeccably.

Second beer was a DEYA 5.5% something or other.  As much as I like Steady Rollin' Man - this was leagues ahead: really fresh and sparky.  Himself agreed.

We chatted about nothing much, just enjoying a time not having responsibility for anything at all.

At one point I saw a great backlit "behind the bar" scene and felt moved to take a picture (only iPhone but the best camera is the one you have with you, after all).

After a while I recognised that some of the group that had joined the seats nearby were CAMRA old hands from my days as beer festival set up manager.  Suspect I've been long forgotten because I only ever went to festival meetings and the festival itself, and never attended any other socials.

One chap had a voice which reached above the prevailing conversational hum.  It was a local accent and although it was a bit distracting, it was kinda grounding.

Sierra Nevada beers were quite prevalent in the line up.  The BBB and I raised a bit of an eyebrow. We seemed to remember having it watching football in the pub in London and finding it very m'eh, suspecting the brewery had gone macro-brand.

Still, two of the beers they had were strong:  a 6.5% hazy pale and a 7.2% barley wine type. Ach, what the hell.  We decided to give a couple of halves a try.

Actually, we enjoyed them.  They were a good finisher.  Would I rush back to them?  No, but I wouldn't complain if they were what was available.

 I would definitely return to the Oakham and the Deya, though.  Much like Tom Unwin's tank hazy pale "Blossom" which we deliberately went to Unwins on Friday to have two pints of to follow the two pints we'd had the Friday before.

The great thing about the EBBT weekend is that all the beers in the Barley Mow will have changed (let's hope they have something left) so we're looking forward to Monday's visit... 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment