Sunday, 16 August 2026

Wife's knees...

 When I first met the BBB we drank in the Royal Oak in Tabbard Street in London.

Legendary for its selling of Harveys and anyone who knows and likes pubs in London knows the Royal Oak.  A bit like the Vic in Eastbourne, it's a really traditional pub, and can be a little bit tricksy to find if you don't know it - so it feels like a secret location.

I've not been there for years for the simple reason, we live most of our time in Harveys country.

It comes down to the fact that I like there to be local beers, and those I might not get too see in a pub very often.

Drinking Harveys in a Bristol pub when I wanted to see how it travels just didn't feel special to me (it had travelled well, as it happens).

The same feeling comes over me with Timothy Taylor beers now - drinking them in Yorkshire felt proper.  In the Crown it's a beer of last resort no matter how well its kept.

So when we went to Wolf a couple of weeks ago, it was with some surprise we saw that Little Martha had a showing or two on the board. This week they're back but in company with New Bristol and Good Chemistry. 

On the one hand, I love that these breweries I like, and have seen grow are getting onto bars 200 miles away so other people can enjoy them.  On the other, we're heading to Bristol next week and these are beers that normally travel no miles to the location we drink them in. 

Obviously, I drank a Martha beer for the sheer hell of it - and it was very good (it was one of their lagers) but truth be told, I prefer drinking it in its home because it grounds me there.

On that note - if you go to Lewes at any point the John Harvey Tavern is the right place to get beer.  All the pubs in town sell Harveys, but the John Harvey has something extra that no one else can really replicate.  I seem to remember, from a business event I had to attend in Lewes that the lunchtime sandwiches are cracking too! 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment